The house was designed for Mrs Malcolm Mason, a close friend of the village owner’s. He later called her his “lady of the stairs and starlight”. She was a writer of children’s books, which probably explains the fairy tale quality of the house. At first it was to be called the Gazebo, however Mrs Mason christened it The House in the Clouds, which seems to symbolise the fantasy feeling of the village.
“The fairies really own this house
or so the children say,
In fact, they all of them moved in
upon the self-same day.”
—Inspired by the House. Mrs Malcolm Mason. 1923