Summer is in full swing AND it’s the weekend, double wooo! To celebrate, I’m sharing a summery cocktail and spirit infusion and a quick DIY cocktail glass project. These have all been extracted from Mason Jar Nation by JoAnn Moser. This recipe wold be great for fruity summer cocktails or even for a birthday party so read on to find out how to make it…In honour of moonshiners of old and new, here’s a less volatile preparation that doesn’t require a still: pineapple-infused vodka. Complete the concoction with a Mason jar cocktail glass and a summery drink recipe using your homemade hooch, and you’ll be good to go.
Supplies: 1 fresh pineapple, clean, peeled, and cubed, 1 quart-size Mason jar, 1 band and lid to fit the quart-sized Mason jar used, 1 bottle of unflavoured vodka, Craft glue, such as E6000, 1 glass candlestick, about 4’’ high (a great place to find these is in secondhand shops), One 8-ounce, wide-mouth Collection Elite half-pint Ball jar, Orange soda, Maraschino cherries, minced.
MAKING YOUR INFUSED VODKA
- Place the cubed pineapple pieces into the Mason jar and cover with vodka.
- Put it in a cool, dark place for a week or two to infuse.
MAKING YOUR MASON JAR COCKTAIL GLASS
- Apply glue to the top of the candlestick and centre the bottom of the half-pint jar over it
- Let the glue cure as stipulated by the adhesive’s directions.
MAKING YOUR VODKA FRUIT CRUSH COCKTAIL
- Mix 6 ounces orange soda with one shot of pineapple-infused vodka.
- Add to liquid two minced maraschino cherries and two pieces infused pineapple.
- Enjoy on a hot day – preferably poolside.
Extracted from Mason Jar Nation by JoAnn Moser, published by Cool Springs Press (£11.99). Learn how to make more than 50 mason jar projects, including luminaries, planters, and upcycled art, in this eagerly anticipated book for DIYers. The humble Mason jar is a versatile and beautiful material, and with chapters on ‘Crafts’, ‘In the Garden’, ‘In the Kitchen’, ‘Lighting and Lanterns’, and ‘Inspired Storage’ – there really is something for everyone. The book can be found right here.