I was delighted when Lucy from LucyLovesYa.com set such a lovely theme for August by sending in her vintage wedding dress photo as a starting point for our August makes. It was a very apprioriate theme seeing as we were at the height of wedding season in August and my favourite online haberdashery Abakhan Fabrics offered us a fabulous prize of a Simplicity Sewing Pattern for special occasion dresses in 6 different styles – great for bridesmaids, wedding guest outfits, prom dresses or just for wearing on a night out – and it is very appropriate considering our wedding dress theme!
- Early in the month I made a little tutu for my brand-new niece using pieces of wedding dress fabric. I had some pieces of tulle that were cut from my wedding dress when the alterations were made to my dress waaaay back when I got married 10 years ago. My sister-in-law also had a layer of chiffon removed from her wedding dress too and I combined this with my dress fabric and some very soft tulle in pale pink (from Abakhan) and baby blue to create a tiny baby tutu. I stitched lengths of the fabric to a ribbon and then attached this length of tutu to a fresh white babygrow and gave it to my new niece for her christening gift.
- Seamstress Lucy sent in this very cute sewing project that she tells me she has been meaning to do for ages! It’s a handy little zipped bag that she created using lace fabric left-over from her wedding dress. The bag would be used to hold all her little wedding bits that she doesn’t want to lose – a great idea for any bride and I should make one too for all my bits that are currently packed away in a shoebox and give them the storage they deserve!
- Glass artist Alison made these amazing crocheted flowers below to add to all the floral displays at her own wedding this August. She used metallic wool and sparkly buttons to jazz up her table centrepieces and bridesmaids’ bouquets. I don’t know how she found the time to make 100s of these gorgeous flowers while organising the whole wedding and looking after her cute baby son too – what an achievement! I think these would look excellent made into as brooches or hair accessories after the wedding too.
- Photographer Andy took beautiful panoramic photographs (above) of a friend’s wedding that he attended in August. He used a splicing technique to create a very wide-angle sweep around the wedding venue and he captured the guests milling around the courtyard following the ceremony, both of which he has sent to the bride and groom so that they can remember the details of the medieval building that was the venue for their ceremony.
All the lovely craft, art and sewing projects that were received this month have been put into a prize draw using Random.org and the winner of this lovely Simplicity sewing pattern has been chosen – its number 2 Lucy – Congratulations! The prize is provided by Abakhan.co.uk but don’t worry if you didn’t win this time – all of the Simplicity sewing patterns are 50% off at Abakhan Fabrics online until 14th September so you can get your hands on any of their easy-to-sew patterns right now!
And here is the new theme for your September Inspiration Challenge projects – bears.
This photo of a vintage set of the bear family from Goldilocks and the Three Bears is from the Antique Teddy Bear Crossing blog, where old bears get new homes, and I think it is the ideal starting point for September when the weather starts getting colder and all I want to do is snuggle up with a duvet and a teddy bear! So take inspiration from the bears themselves, from children’s stories or even just be inspired by the fluffy fabric – the choice is yours! Whatever you make, send me your photos before the end of September 2013 and tweet me with your progress throughout the month @CassiefairyTutu. It’s just for fun so have a go at making anything that you’ve been inspired to create – and if you’ve not yet joined in with the Inspiration Challenge, take the plunge and have a go at making something this month, I’d love to see your creations, whatever they are!
- My beach hut cushion + the Inspiration Challenge (cassiefairy.com)
- A special prize from Joanie’s Gifts for July’s Inspiration Challenge (cassiefairy.com)
- A beach hut inspired story by author Amanda Addison (cassiefairy.com)
PLEASE SUPPORT 'MY THRIFTY LIFE' BLOG
If my DIY projects or money-saving articles have helped you please consider supporting the 'My Thrifty Life' blog to enable me to create new content. I really appreciate every donation and it allows me to continue helping readers to live a lovely life on a budget 🙂