My new favourite recipe to make for an evening meal is the subject of today’s Pieday Friday. I love veg, pasta and especially cheese so it combines all of my favourites in one meal – perfect. And it really is as simple as it sounds: just steam some cauliflower and broccoli while boiling up some pasta. Drain them all and add to a baking dish before pouring cheese sauce over the top.
Here’s how to make the cheese sauce:
Ingredients: 25g/1oz butter, 25g/1oz plain flour, 600ml/1 pint milk, salt and white pepper, 80g/3oz cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a saucepan then stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes until it thickens into a paste
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes and season with salt and white pepper, adding more milk if the sauce gets too thick.
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt, then pour over the pasta and veg and bake.
- Sprinkle on a little more grated cheese and bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the cheesy topping melts and becomes golden.
PLEASE SUPPORT 'MY THRIFTY LIFE' BLOG
If my DIY projects or money-saving articles have helped you please consider supporting the 'My Thrifty Life' blog to enable me to create new content. I really appreciate every donation and it allows me to continue helping readers to live a lovely life on a budget 🙂