Guest post by blogger Eva Stephen, author of fantastic interior decor articles for House to Home, DIY by Design and Mad About Pink.
In our part of the world winter tends to get too long and depressing. We can’t wait for spring to come, sun to shine and butterflies to start fluttering in our belly. Spring brings out the best in us, inspires us to dress up and to feel pretty. There’s another kind of “dressing up” we like to do when the gloomy winter days are over; spring cleaning – sounds familiar? Maybe not all of us really like it, but we definitely need to freshen up our home in the spring and start enjoying its sunnier version.
Tips and tricks on making spring cleaning fun
Now, why not have fun while de-cluttering, reorganizing and reviving your home? There are ways to make this activity truly entertaining but you’ll need to clean the house first. In order to get to the more cheerful activities faster, you can rope in your family members to help with cleaning, mopping, dusting, vacuuming, window-washing, etc.
Reorganization and redecoration
1. What’s most obvious about spring are the vibrant colours. The flowers are in bloom, the sun is waking you up with its almost unbearably happy shine. Spring is a good time to refresh your walls and if you want to make a change, think about painting your walls yellow, light blue or vibrant green. Adding new colours might improve the look of your existing furniture and soft furnishings or you could easily makeover an old unit with a fresh coat of paint.
2. Treat yourself to one new piece of storage furniture such as a TV unit, electronic device or kitchen appliance. Something new can improve the overall appearance of your existing items, and you can set about recycling and repurposing the rest of your stuff.
3. Renovating old furniture doesn’t have to be about getting a perfect finish – you cane make a ‘shabby chic’ effect by painting old chairs and tables using several layers of spray paint, sanding the last layer off so that the previous (white) layer is visible. You can find tutorials on the Cassiefairy.com blog on how to do this and create a piece of furniture with a vintage look to it.
4. Get your whole family involved and organize a day of art with your kids/partner/friends, painting vases and photo frames to compliment your new decor.
5. Open up your home with new plants and flowers in your living room – here’s a blog post about how house plants can clean the air in your home. You don’t have to make a jungle out of your home, but the right amount of plants can make your home look fresh and elegant.
6. You might want to consider removing heavy curtains so that your home gets more light. You can also remove rugs (until next winter), because it will be easier to clean the floors and you’ll get a sense of living in a bigger space.
You don’t really need to spend any money on dressing up your home for Spring. It’s just important to come up with new ideas and to have the will to work on creating something pretty. It’s amazing how little details can change the appearance of your home. Simply moving your furniture around can change the way your room looks. Putting up interesting photo frames and painting your walls an usual colour can be enough to visually improve your house. Focus on details: pillows on sofas, small sculptures, lamps, flowers, wall stickers and posters, etc. Once you are done with this demanding job, you can sit back and enjoy your home’s new spring beauty.
This blog post is a guest post advertisement feature. The pink links in this post indicate a sponsored link 🙂