Valentine’s Day always creeps up on me, and I never get a chance to get my husband a card in advance, so I can often been spotted making something myself the day before. But it’s not just my forgetfulness that means my hubby has to settle for a hand-made card each year: it IS lovely to give something that you’ve spent a bit of time making yourself and this card design could be adapted for mother’s or father’s day and birthdays too. Seeing as I have already given hubby his card this morning, I think I’m now safe to share the photos with you all 🙂
You will need: card, small scraps of fabric, thread, needle, double-sided tape, scissors, craft knife
- Cut a piece of card that is double the size of the card that you want, then fold in half and set aside.
- Cut a piece of fabric for the background – a little smaller on all sizes that the front of your card.
Cut out a design for the centre of your card – I’ve used gold silk to cut out a heart shape (because my hubby has a ‘heart of gold’!)
- Pin the heart to the centre of the fabric rectangle and stitch together – I used a machine to stitch around the heart a few times for a rustic effect but you could just as easily hand-stitch it on.
Use a thicker thread and stitch your chosen message onto the fabric.
Stick double-sided tape on the back of the finished fabric rectangle and stick to the front of your card. You can add stitches around the edge at this point if you wish.
I hope you get some use out of this tutorial – please tweet me your pics @CassiefairyTutu and check out these links below to more Valentine’s Day ideas on the blog
Related blog posts from Cassiefairy:
- Free & cheap date ideas for Valentines Day and beyond (cassiefairy.com)
- Recipe: Love heart jam tarts (cassiefairy.com)
- Tuesday Shoesday – Valentines treats for your feet (cassiefairy.com)
- Love Heart Nail-Art for Valentines day (cassiefairy.com)
- Valentine’s Day craft project – you light up my life (cassiefairy.com)
Thanks Sonia, great to have you reading! 😀
I love you ideas Cassiefairy 🙂