I’ve been working on a little craft project especially for Mother’s Day and here’s my finished item, based on a tutorial that I saw on Pinterest. The original idea came from this image from Pretty Pastels and then I went looking for instructions on making a DIY version – which I found at Well My Stars blog – check out the step-by-step tutorial here.
I didn’t have any chunky paper maché letters to use in my project, so I decided to make a flat, wall-hanging version of these padded letters using normal cardboard and a few fabric remnants that I had lying around.
Here’s how I did it:
- Cut out letters from very thick cardboard – I chose MUM for Mother’s Day, but you could make a name or spell out a word
- Use the letter as a template to cut out wadding and fabric a little bigger than the letter on all sides
- Put double-sided tape on the front of the letter then stick your wadding to it
- Stick more double-sided tape on the back of the letter
- Layer your fabric on top of the letter and stretch it round to the back and stick down to the double-sided tape
- Glue on a loop of string or wool to the back of the letter to hang it on the wall – done!
I’ve been extra keen to do this project this month – mainly because mum deserves a special treat, but also because I’m taking part in the PinAddicts Challege – a fun challenge that encourages serial-pinner like myself to get on with making the craft projects that they’ve pinned during the previous month! So often I pin something and think I’ll come back to it.. but never quite find the time to get round to it, but the Pinterest Challenge really gave me the ooomph to do it! You can get involved too – make something you’ve seen on Pinterest and link it up below 🙂
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list of other craft projects created for this month’s challenge!
Related craft articles
- Vintage patterns and unconventional sizing! (cassiefairy.com)
- Craft project – Creating new cushions for my retro living room from placemats (cassiefairy.com)
- Craft Project – Making cushions for my retro-inspired home (Cassiefairy)
- Getting Crafty For Christmas (Cassiefairy)
- DIY Project – bathroom cabinet makeover (Cassiefairy)