It’s raining. It’s cold. The mornings are dark. And there is condensation on my windows. Yes, I think I can officially claim that it is autumn. I know I’ve been banging on about the season for the past couple of weeks, but I’ve not really been feeling it, because it’s still been sunny and warm outside. However, it is definitely jacket-weather now, so for me, autumn has begun in Cassiefairyland.
Hubby and I recently picked up a wooden fruit bowl from a carboot sale. We thought it was retro-chic and would look great in our mid-century style living room. It’s smoothly carved and therefore very pleasing to touch and is the perfect teak colour to match the rest of our slightly garish furniture. I’ve filled it with lovely oranges and peaches, and now it’s looking decidedly autumnal on our sideboard with a ‘matching’ orange candle that we received as an anniversary gift. This is fast becoming be one of my favourite pieces in our retro living room, it’s practical and useful, but beautifully made and really rather cool. Compared to our usual ‘ugly’ or ‘garish’ choices, it’s really quite pretty and can be admired by fans of modern and country interiors alike. I’m especially pleased because hubby didn’t spend more than a couple of quid on it, and I love a bargain!
You may have noticed that I seem to write about my living room more in the autumn and I think it’s simply because our choice of colours in the room (orange, brown, teak and leather) remind me more of autumn than any other time of year. Plus, I’m indoors more and naturally focus on it a bit more than usual. For instance, now that it’s getting colder, my thoughts have turned back to making a throw for the living room sofa so that I can snuggle under it on cold evenings. I had a selection of retro fabric pieces given to me last year and have done nothing much with them yet (apart from making this cushion and draught-excluder) so I think I’ll give it a go, and spend my evenings making a blanket for myself. I’ll let you know how I get on with that – I expect it will take a while!
- My retro living room ~ adding a little sunshine for autumn (cassiefairy.com)
- Retro living room inspirations ~ lighting (cassiefairy.com)
- Making a retro draught excluder (cassiefairy.com)
- Inspirations for a retro living room – the wallpaper is finally up! (cassiefairy.com)
- Inspirations for a retro living-room: Wall coverings (cassiefairy.com)
- A gorgeous piece of artwork for my retro living room – by artist Mable Tan (cassiefairy.com)
- Inspirations for a retro living room: Soft Furnishings (cassiefairy.com)
- Interior design inspirations: Finn Juhl
- An old armchair rescued (cassiefairy.com)
- Have you ever seen anything as retro as this? (cassiefairy.com)
PLEASE SUPPORT THE 'MY THRIFTY LIFE' BLOG
If my DIY projects or money-saving articles have helped you please consider supporting the 'My Thrifty Life' blog to enable me to create new content. I really appreciate every donation and it allows me to continue helping readers to live a lovely life on a budget 🙂