It’s Halloween this week and as usual I don’t have any budget for a costume for all those parties I’ll be going to. But I’m not worried about that because I personally think that Halloween is about making-do and creating some crazy costume yourself that no one else will be wearing – the tattier the better in some instances! I have therefore made my own last-minute skeleton costume using an old (and I mean ooolllddd) stretchy top and I’ll show you how to make one for yourself below:
You will need: old black top, white top to wear underneath, scissors, white pen or chalk
Step by step
- Fold your top in half along the centre point.
- Use the chalk or white pen to mark out where you will be cutting out the ribs
- Cut out the ribs, making sure you’re cutting all the way through both layers of fabric. This will give you a symmetrical set of ribs on each side when you have finished cutting.
- Cut out small triangles along the centre to create the spine bones
- I even cut some bone shapes from the arms, which aren’t clear in the photo, but when I’m wearing it, you can really see them.
- Wear over the top of a white t-shirt to show off the shape of the bones!
It’s a great way to get a last-minute outfit sorted out, and I hope you’ll have a go at making this simple Halloween costume. I wrote this blog post for Oxfam Fashion so check out their blog here and have a read of all the other fabulous fashion bloggers’ articles. Enjoy your spooky celebrations, whatever you get up to!
More Halloween articles from Cassiefairy:
- Halloween chocolate orange cupcakes (cassiefairy.com)
- Chocolate apples recipe for Halloween parties (cassiefairy.com)
- Free Halloween Printables (cassiefairy.com)
- Just a little something I made for Halloween (cassiefairy.com)
- Happy Halloween (cassiefairy.com)
- The spookiest day of the year is nearly here… (cassiefairy.com)