Over the past couple of years Christmas jumpers have really taken off. This is not new information to those of us who love rummaging through charity shops, hunting out genuine vintage festive knits that your granddad would have worn. They were great for making your friends wince and declare you seriously uncool only 3 years ago, but not anymore. Now the high street is full of them, and cheap replicas of your great-aunt’s fairisle cardigan are everywhere. And with all these copies, you can’t be sure that you won’t wearing the same Christmas jumper as your pal when you turn up at the pub on Christmas eve for festive drinks. So how about taking a little time out of your busy present-buying schedule to sit down and hand-sew your own festive knitwear by following my DIY project on the Oxfam Fashion Blog? It doesn’t have to be a cardigan like mine, it can be any colour or pattern winter wooly and the addition of the festive pom-poms is what gives it a festive edge. It’s so easy to do, takes very little time and provides you with a truly unique Christmas jumper!
You will need: item of knitwear, pack of pom-poms (from any haberdashery or craft shop – I got mine from The Range for £1), thread, needle, pins, scissors
- Lay your knitwear flat and position the pom-poms to create a pleasing pattern wherever you want them to be on your jumper or cardigan.
- Pin them into position so that they stay in place.
- Knot the thread inside the jumper and bring the needle through to the front. Stitch up through the pom-pom and back down into the pom-pom before taking the needle back inside the jumper and knotting.
- Repeat with all of the pom-poms and remove pins before wearing your festive jumper with pride!
You can always add any other decorations that catch your eye – perhaps red bows, or a felt Christmas tree ornament for a really garish festive jumper that will delight your friends and family this Christmas!
I’m a volunteer Oxfam DIY blogger and this tutorial has been featured on the Oxfam Fashion Blog so please check it out, along with all of the other thrifty festive articles that the blogging team have been producing this month!
Also, I have been entered into the National Blog awards and it would make my Christmas if you would stop by the voting site and choose Cassiefairy.com – and as an extra treat, you’ll receive a FREE Blogging Ebook just for casting your vote Please use this link to vote for me in the lifestyle and fashion categories http://www.blogawardsuk.co.uk/vote/ the blog awards site is working on-and-off at the moment because there are so many people trying to vote, so if it doesn’t work straight away, please pop back later! Thanks so much, you’re great
Check out this festive jumper tutorial video from Boohoo
- All festive articles on Cassiefairy.com
- Pretty table settings for a festive meal (cassiefairy.com)
- Festive framed artwork decorations (cassiefairy.com)
- Pieday Friday ~ christmas cake (cassiefairy.com)
PLEASE SUPPORT THE 'MY THRIFTY LIFE' BLOG
If my DIY projects or money-saving articles have helped you please consider supporting the 'My Thrifty Life' blog to enable me to create new content. I really appreciate every donation and it allows me to continue helping readers to live a lovely life on a budget 🙂