That retro-knitwear staple, the snood, is very fashionable again this year, with all kinds of patterns and colours available in high street shops. But you don’t need to splash out on a new accessory to keep you warm this winter. You can simply upcycle an old festive jumper or cardigan that’s past its best and turn it into a trendy snood. Keep an eye out for vintage patterns and festive coloured knitwear in charity shops, and you can even choose jumpers with holes or rips that would otherwise go into landfill, because you’ll be cutting pieces out of the jumper and can work around any flaws. I’ve used this wool fabric from Wholeport but if you’re thinking of chucking out a jumper anyway, give this easy tutorial for a winter snood a go – it would work equally well with a chunky cardi or cable-knit jumper – be creative!
You will need: Old jumper with festive pattern, scissors, needle, matching thread, sewing machine (optional)
Step by step:
- Cut the jumper into squares or rectangles of equal width
- With right sides facing, pin and stitch the shorter edges (across width) together, matching the pattern if possible to make one long length of fabric.
- Fold the fabric in half along the length with right sides facing and stitch along the whole length.
- Turn right-side out and hand-stitch the raw ends together to create a loop.
- Wrap the snood around your neck once for a loose scarf, or twice for a snuggly neck-warmer.
I’m a volunteer Oxfam DIY blogger and this DIY festive snood tutorial has been featured on the Oxfam Fashion Blog so please check it out, along with all of the other thrifty festive articles that the blogging team have been producing this month!
Also, I have been entered into the National Blog awards and it would make my Christmas if you would stop by the voting site and choose Cassiefairy.com – and as an extra treat, you’ll receive a FREE Blogging Ebook just for casting your vote 🙂 Please use this link to vote for me in the lifestyle and fashion categories http://www.blogawardsuk.co.uk/vote/ thanks so much 😀
- Thrifty fashion ~ DIY funk up your knitwear for Christmas (cassiefairy.com)
- All festive articles on Cassiefairy.com
- Pretty table settings for a festive meal (cassiefairy.com)
- Festive framed artwork decorations (cassiefairy.com)
- Pieday Friday ~ christmas cake (cassiefairy.com)
PLEASE SUPPORT 'MY THRIFTY LIFE' BLOG
If my DIY projects or money-saving articles have helped you please consider supporting the 'My Thrifty Life' blog to enable me to create new content. I really appreciate every donation and it allows me to continue helping readers to live a lovely life on a budget 🙂