Recently I had a pal coming round for dinner and realised that I didn’t have anything sorted for pudding – there was no ice cream in the fridge, no custard in the cupboard and I’d definitely not baked a cake. So I rummaged around in the kitchen and basically threw everything I could find into a bowl and mashed it together – this fridge cake was finished and ready to set in the fridge after less-than 5 minutes. I’d got the basic recipe from “Justin’s Annual” that my husband had bought me for Christmas because he knows how much I love Something Special, and then added anything I could to make it extra yummy.
- Melt 125g butter and 225g milk chocolate and 2 tablespoons of golden syrup in a bowl over hot water or in the microwave.
- Crush up digestive biscuits and cookies and mix into the chocolate mixture – you could add anything else you have in the cupboards too – cornflakes, rice crispies, penguin bars or any biscuits you like.
- I then added in chopped cherries and some mini marzipan chocolate bars, but you could add anything you like – a handful of raisins, white chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, even jelly sweets etc.
- Line a tub or tray with cling film and press the mixture into the tub then sprinkle on some hundreds-and-thousands.
- Set in the fridge for at least an hour until firm, then remove from tub (the clingfilm will make this easy) and slice into squares.
I really was the quickest sweet treat I’ve ever made and we all enjoyed helping ourselves to a square of fridge cake after our dinner. Let me know if you give this recipe a go and tweet me your photos @CassiefairyTutu.
Plus – I’ve made a free E-Book of my Pieday Friday recipes that you can download! It’s all there in the book, not only pie recipes, but all of my favourites including soups and snacks, sweet treats and main meals! I’ve published it as a free PDF e-book as a ‘thank you’ to my readers for sticking with me all this time soooo… Preview the E-Book here and email me email@example.com and I will send you the e-book by email for you to download completely free!
More Pieday Friday recipes:
- My favourite Friday Pieday recipes for National Pie Week (cassiefairy.com)
- I’ve finally published my Pieday Friday recipe book – in time for National Pie Week! (cassiefairy.com)
- Pieday Friday recipe – Love heart jam tart (cassiefairy.com)
PLEASE SUPPORT THE 'MY THRIFTY LIFE' BLOG
If my DIY projects or money-saving articles have helped you please consider supporting the 'My Thrifty Life' blog to enable me to create new content. I really appreciate every donation and it allows me to continue helping readers to live a lovely life on a budget 🙂