This week the rhubarb is finally ripe and ready to eat! So really, what else could I make with it other than a classic rhubarb crumble?! I decided to stew my rhubarb before adding the crumble topping but you can even just slice it up, add the sugar, top with the crumble and bung it in the oven to soften and bake – even easier!
Ingredients: Rhubarb (as much as you have !), caster sugar or sweetener (to taste), 6/7oz plain flour, 4oz butter, 4oz brown sugar.
Chop your rhubarb into chunks and add the caster sugar – it will produce its own moisture as it cooks. You can stew it on the hob for 5 minutes until it goes soft, or just put the sugar and rhubarb straight into an oven-proof dish and it will soften while cooking in the oven. Mix the butter, sugar and flour with your fingertips until it forms a breadcrumb texture, then tip on top of the rhubarb, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar over the top, then bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, or longer if you’ve used raw rhubarb, until golden brown. Enjoy with custard or a big scoop of vanilla ice-cream!
More Pieday Friday recipes
- Pieday Friday ~ Seasonal asparagus & ham pie (cassiefairy.com)
- Pieday Friday ~ Cupcake heaven (cassiefairy.com)
- Pieday Friday – Back to basics with bread (cassiefairy.com)
- Pieday Friday ~ Cakes in a cup (cassiefairy.com)
- Pieday Friday recipe ~ Sticky BBQ Ribs (cassiefairy.com)